Select Page

Forums Crazy World GUVERINOMA Y’U RWANDA IKORERA MU BUHUNGIRO Reply To: GUVERINOMA Y’U RWANDA IKORERA MU BUHUNGIRO

Rwanda

THIRTY-NINE years after his death, I still remember Kayibanda Gregoire’s significant contribution to Rwandan independence.

Although the father of the nation is not #constant in #Rwanda , probably because some leaders tend to have a knee-jerk response to upholding the values, I still see that he is. If we may look for somebody who has played a major role in the independence movement, he is the father of the nation although rarely celebrated.

Let it not flabagast you that the father of the nation is not born yet or is the incumbent president. Everyone is entitled to his opinion.
    But none of them has to be wrong in his facts
    In 1961 the Rwandan monarchy was dissolved, and Kayibanda was elected president on October 26. He served as President of Rwanda from 1962 until July 5, 1973, when he was overthrown by his defense minister Major General #Juvénal #Habyarimana in a military coup.

It is said that he was #starved to death only feeding on #salt . Oh my God ! What a punishment !

He is reverenced although some people tell us that he was a very bad guy.

I love in him best the fact that he shunned and struggled against direct or remote control. When the Americans requested to shelter their #military #equipment and #personnel in Rwanda in exchange for macadamized roads , he preferred the dust over rocks. He foreknew of the havoc that is wrought whenever their boot is set on the country.

He also saved the life of Kigeli V Ndahindurwa who was to be killed by the traditional historians prior to ‘uruvi’ rising.

I know so little about him but still recollect him more intimately than his overthrower who travelled in the plane cheaper than its anti-missile it hadn’t, and who later was killed in a terrorism entreprise by downing his pricey falcon 50.

Rest In Peace, de mortuis nil nisi bonum